Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Vienna!

We arrived in Vienna this morning around 6am. My first overnight train experience was interesting. Not in a bad way, but interesting. We weren't able to reserve a sleeper cabin at the train station so when we boarded we asked if there were any available. There was but we shared it with two other people; a woman about my age and "The Strange One", both living in Vienna. The Strange One was rather strange. Nice enough, but definitely strange. He was writing very intently when we arrived and I couldn't help but wonder what he had to say.  The women in the cabin next to us are the ones who referred to him as The Strange One. 

We had a quick stop in Prague, which is where we were supposed to be going. I was asleep, but mike hopped off for a few minutes. He said it was a mad house with people trying to get out due to the flooding. O

It's of course still raining and cold. Just our luck. It still didn't stop us, soaking wet feet and all. We stopped in a nice little cafe we found for a cappuccino this morning. Although there are still Starbucks everywhere, I love finding these little places tucked away. 


We also took a peek inside St. Stephen's Cathedral which dates back to the 1200's. It was stunning. Tomorrow we will return for a more thorough look. 





We did a lot of walking again today. I love seeing all the random art around the city. 




After sight-seeing and freezing our tushies off, we had a little nap. Yes, I napped while in Vienna. So sue me. 

We had dinner in an awesome local place called Nestroy. I am in foodie heaven!  I couldn't even take a picture because I scarfed it down so fast. You have never had goulash until you've eaten here. I was hoping to find out that it's tradition in Vienna to lick your plate, but no such luck. 

After dinner and a few beers we walked around for awhile and found another cafe, and had another couple of beers. It's so beautiful everywhere we go. I can't help but wonder what history tookplace  everywhere we go. 



Tomorrow we will do more sight-seeing and then take a night train to Venice. I've had an amazing time so far, but I'm excited for warmer, dryer weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment